Saturday, March 23, 2019

My Best Extreme

Doing a little reading this morning and came across this article on giving and receiving feedback.  It's long, so I'll just share my fav paragraph:

Excellence seems to be inextricably and wonderfully intertwined with whoever demonstrates it. Each person’s version of it is uniquely shaped and is an expression of that person’s individuality. Which means that, for each of us, excellence is easy, in that it is a natural, fluid, and intelligent expression of our best extremes. It can be cultivated, but it’s unforced.

I love this!  The wording is kind of fabulous.  I like thinking about best extremes - in a different light, that phrase could feel like a negative thing.  Instead, this article shed light on the uniqueness that is excellence.  I like imagining a world where we strive less to meet others' expectations.

Feeling a little saucy this morning after reading this.  I'm going to go be excellent today by inextricably and wonderfully letting myself do my own thing.  Be an individual.  Be natural,--fluid even.  Today, I will be my best extreme.

*side note, I'm totally struggling with this bird house I'm painting because I can't get it just right.  This is my attempt to let that go and finish it up in some creative way.  The house was originally my childhood doll house built by my grandfather.  My father made some modifications to turn it into a birdhouse for me.  Painting it to perfections seems like some great responsibility and homage to these important men in my life.  I literally put on the 7th coat of paint this morning before sitting down at the computer.  It's time to chill and just demonstrate my uniqueness.  lol

4 comments:

  1. I hope you finished your birdhouse and found it quite excellent. You did a little more heavy lifting reading than I today, and I hope you carried that fluidity with you all day long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "My best extreme" as your goal - how did it go? I hope the pendulum didn't swing and you ended up at the other end of extreme!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A dollhouse turned into a birdhouse--way cool.

    I love the idea that everyone's "excellent" is different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also love the idea that everyone's excellent is different, individual. I don't think school is set up very well to honor that. I'll be thinking more about this.

    ReplyDelete