Monday, March 18, 2019

My Morning Playlist was Epic

There's going to be a point in this slice where you don't believe me.  I swear to howdy it happened this morning, just this way... zero embellishments.

I LOVE doing my morning run outside, but my chicken-ass-side is too scared to run in the dark.  So, I'm stuck on the treadmill during most of the school year.  EXCEPT for spring break.  Woot! 

My husband is a bit more athletic than me.  I take the car to the top of the hill and then get out and do a three mile loop to the park and back.  He leaves the house on foot, going the opposite way and does a variance of routes that are between 5 and 10 miles.

I picked THE PERFECT album for the morning adventure.  Como Te Llama by Albert Hammond Jr.  It's mellow, and gritty, and sad, and happy all at the same time - and one of my favorite albums ever.  And as happens with music, all of the feelings they are feeling are the feelings I'm feeling too...lol!  He says things like:

Inside me there's a sad machine
Wants to stop movin'

I want my frustrations
to know that you are alright

And I'm like, "I hear you Albert!" 

See, I'm one of those people that curls into themselves over winter.  I fight and fight to function without enough sun.  Honestly, I've been a little pissy this winter about all of the things I have to check off my daily list to try and even feel in my right mind.  Did I... run, do yoga, sit in front of a fake sun lamp, meditate, eat right, sleep well, take vitamin D, be grateful, walk my dog?  The list felt endless and all of the things I loved turned into chores I had to do.  As winter comes to an end, I've been digging myself out of this hole but have still felt a bit resentful.  I don't want a checklist to feel happy. 

And unfortunately, that feeling crept up on me as I was out this morning.  Then a few things happened.  Venus (my dog) and I were all alone by the river for a moment.  Something about being all alone in nature is pretty powerful.  Then the sun was shining so bright and I was out of breath.  Spooky Couch came on which is like this 7 minute instrumental, and it was just so damn beautiful that I got over myself. 

I just enjoyed the rest of the route, checklist or not. 

As Albert's album ended I thought I'd switch to one of my other all time favorite albums,  All This Time by Heartless Bastards.   I adore singing it as loudly as possible.  I was just about to the top of the hill, sun shining bright in my face when I got to these lyrics:

All this time, I wanted you to know
That if you're ever, ever, ever feeling low
You can always count on, on me
To be there whenever you need
Oh, I love you so much, baby
You are my, you are my rising sun

You know what was coming from the opposite side of the hill besides the sun?  My husband!  He was running his route and our paths crossed just at that moment.  If that isn't the best story ever, I don't know what is.

I'm a lucky girl, and I'm glad the universe reminded me of that this morning.

6 comments:

  1. What an awesome moment and now you have it penned for perpetuity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello- your slice teaser intrigued me and I am so glad I stopped by to read your story of the epic morning. I loved the ending of course, but also the build up of tension -- kind of like running up a big hill. Enjoyed the music inside your slice too, it made it come alive for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tracy--It sounds like it was a glorious moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this! I have also had the experience of having the perfect playlist kismet happen to me...it's the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I second Kristi. I am glad you got this written down.
    Great read :) and I am happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect playlist kismet can't happen that often--and this made for a perfect slice as well!

    ReplyDelete