Friday, March 1, 2019

Day One



Ahh… Day one!

Day one of tackling any new goal seems easy peasy. You WANT to do this thing. It will be great!  It’s a challenge you’ve always wanted to commit to. (but in the back of my mind, I know that if it  was easy, I would be doing it already) … so, I dedicate DAY ONE to explaining WHY I want to do this thing -write about my life for 30 days PUBLICLY - so that as the challenge goes on, I will remember why I want to commit!

Slice of Life Challenge was shared with me by teachers from my local Writing Project. Like them, I believe that teachers of writing must be writers themselves, so there is that. Which is pretty important.

More importantly for me though, the motivation for doing this challenge comes from a commitment for 2019. Making time for the most important things in life. Like so many, I’ve fallen in the hole of endless busyness. The “learn to say no thing” felt obvious… I don’t say yes to things I don’t want to do. BUT, some podcast tackled the idea of how we must start saying no to plenty of the things that we do want to do. Narrowing down to the essentials and cutting things, even the ones we like, could lead to a life of less clutter, less stress, and maybe just a bit more happiness.

The podcast suggested THREE focuses, but who can think of only three important focuses? Seriously? I went with five. 1) Go Outside 2) Be Stronger (physically) 3) Try/Learn New Things 4) Build Relationships 5) Sustain Mental Health

Writing easily fits into the sustain mental health category for me. I know that writing daily makes me feel better… no studies or data needed to prove that. Still, I often find myself NOT doing the things that I know are best for me. I hope this challenge will help build up my love and routine for daily writing.

My Ideas of March will focus on all of my five though. I want to take a little slice of my daily life and shed some insight into these five focuses. Talk about a new recipe I’ve tried, a date with my niece, a hike where it is finally above thirty degrees even!

I’m excited to try this NEW thing with a community of teachers and writers. Thanks for taking the challenge with me :)

8 comments:

  1. Hahaha, in my writing I mentioned wanting it to be above 30 degrees. I really don't feel like it is too much to ask!
    Welcome to Slice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Tracy! Being a teacher who was writing, just like I asked my students to, is the same reason I started this journey. Years later I'm still slicing - so watch out! ;) I look forward to the peek into your life through the filter of the five goals as your write throughout March. Enjoy the life giving aspects of writing and this community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tracy--You're right. We make time for things that are important to us. I'm glad you're part of the blogosphere now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great thoughts for the first day of a challenge! Slicing is also an example of trying something new AND you'll definitely build relationships! It's the community that keeps me coming back year after year. Yesterday was like seeing old friends all day and then beginning to make some new ones too. Looking forward to reading your posts this month!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That wisdom about saying no to something in order to say yes to another is crucial. I struggle with it too! I'll be scribbling ideas as I read your Slice stories this month 😊

    ReplyDelete
  6. #5 and #2 sum up my life right now. I am always on the lookout for tips. I still haven't carried out the postcard tip yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I relate to often not doing things I know are best for me. I'm giving it a go for the first time this year too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! I think that this challenge will also help with the 'build relationships' category as well. I always feel like I learn so much more about someone through their writing, so I can't wait to read yours!

    ReplyDelete