Thursday, March 28, 2019

Gotta Be

This slice needs a little pre-slice background to be fully appreciated.

1.  I do this weekly close read sheet with the kids.  We almost always use poems because they are 6th graders and have minimal stamina.

2.  A section of this close read asks them to pull the most meaningful line from the piece we study.

3.  This week, we started Hatchet, so I'm using articles, poems, etc. that all deal with the theme of overcoming and survival.

4.  I thought I'd choose a song this week for close read instead of a poem.

5.  The song is ridiculous, cheesy, and uncomplicated.  I was looking for something simple for the students to imitate in writing.

Now, to today's slice.

I was 'close reading' the song Gotta Be by Des'ree.  Remember the lyrics?

You gotta be bad, you gotta be bold
You gotta be wiser, you gotta be hard
You gotta be tough, you gotta be stronger
You gotta be cool, you gotta be calm
You gotta stay together
All I know, all I know, love will save the day

Want to know what nearly every 6th grade boy listed as the most meaningful line from the poem?

You gotta be hard.

My husband says it's an official sign of old age that I didn't see this one coming when I planned the lesson, but I kind of enjoyed the giggles and amount of eye rolling I did as I graded these sheets today (at my boys and myself). 

2 comments:

  1. Ha! You have 6th graders who are kindred spirits to my 8th graders! I love that I started singing in my head immediately as I read the lyrics! Love this slice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would step into these kinds of moments so often if I taught middle schoolers. Luckily my college students just ignore any kind of unintended pun or innuendo.

    ReplyDelete