Sunday, March 3, 2019

School Will Be in Session Tomorrow

Something I'm trying to do more of this year is read education blogs.  Today I read this one:  How to Make Writing Less Scary for Students.  I'm going to give this suggested activity a go... please see below.

St. Louis.  March.  A Sunday, cold, with a cloudy morning sky trickling down flakes that were like the promise of a snow day.  A day in which the outline of my brain shuttered as if in protest of planning for Monday.  Quivering fingers sprang up from the heated blankets and pecked along the plastic keyboard.  The flakes dusting the curbs were a disappointing mound, and the lack of icy streets threw out a blinding realization.  School will be in session tomorrow.  Sharp pains of anxiety rose from my reeling thoughts, planning the engagement or writing projects of unsuspecting students.  What small hope there was seemed like the light of flame dimmed by unpredictability.

... that was actually pretty fun!
I spent the morning planning the intro for a new problem/solution paper I'm doing using The Global Goals.  Fingers crossed that the students are like WOOT! instead of WHAT?  *feel free to use too :)

4 comments:

  1. Tracy--Your description was perfect. I feel the same. I was hopeful... but now my dreams have been dashed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "What small hope there was seemed like the light of flame dimmed by unpredictability." Loved this.

    Ugh...2030 Agenda...I dealt with that in a very different way. Some countries feel there is a lot of propaganda behind some of the goals and made a big fuss. I can't really enjoy them yet. I would like to hear how your project goes though.

    Which categories did they choose the most? And what did their GOs look like. I guess you can't tag me in the part 2 post, I will try to follow closely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I especially like your verbs; trickled, pecked, dusting, blinding, dimmed. How did it go with your students?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this prompt! I always like using the structure of a mentor text as inspiration for a piece of writing. I will have to bookmark this one.

    ReplyDelete