Saturday, March 16, 2019

The College Dropout

*EDIT*  Last night, I started this rambling on my phone (what's below the line).  Then I came home and edited it, and got to what I was trying to say.  Somehow most of that writing is gone this morning (next day), and I'm bummed.

The point I was trying to get at is that we have words in our language for people who have more depth to their thinking (intelligent), or more depth to their physical abilities (athlete), but I don't feel like we have a word in our language for people who have more depth to the way the feel emotions.  Unless you count emotional--which I don't--because it has such a negative spin on it. 

Why don't we have these words or these labels?  Do you believe someone can have more depth to the way they feel emotions?

---------------------------------------------------------

How do we develop our taste for music... our taste for foods?  Shows?  People?
I am obsessed with lists.  Not like number ones, that's too tricky, but favorites,  I can deal with that. 
I can't adequately describe my love for music.  It bounces around in my soul and helps me feel things.  Joy.  Passion for life.  Down in the dumps, over life kind of moments too.  Music is this amazing vehicle for me.
Tonight I went to dinner with a person that has run a thread through my entire life.  Our history is long and admirable.  Some of it is that our tastes are the same.  Some if it that we love each other for our tastes that aren't the same.  Friendship is also an amazing vehicle.
Is it strange to think that your choice in music, friends, shows, and even food might make you a better person?
How can something help you love life? Feel?  Experience? 

5 comments:

  1. The song from Wicked, "I Have Been Changed For Good", that speaks to this. Who we know, how we spend our time impacts who we are. Unfortunately this can also be a negative influence, so choose wisely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always such a bummer when revisions don't get saved and you're left with that early writing and no clue (at least if you're me!) how you changed it and fixed it, though you know you did! I definitely know what you mean about words our language seems to lack--perhaps because we tend not to value that skill or intelligence as much?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you have me thinking about something I have never given much thought to before. Though I don't know the word you are looking for, I agree "emotional" can have a negative connotation. Sensitive maybe, but I hate that it too sounds like a weak word instead of the strength it takes to live and persevere as a sensitive person in the world. Thank you for slicing and sharing your thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ardent- someone who feels something strongly, in support of someone or something, like how you feel about music. Also passionate and soulful could describe your feelings. (and bitter is how I would feel if my revisions got deleted!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tracy--If I had to lose a sense, it would not be hearing, because music is THAT integral to my life.

    Like Liz, you have me thinking...

    ReplyDelete