Friday, March 15, 2019

The Morning Dialogue

Hubby:  Honey?!  What time does your PD day start?

Wife:  (waking from strange REM sleep, dreaming about the size of recycling containers) 8... why?

Hubby:  It's 6 o'clock.

Wife:  (a bit shocked because her fancy, natural light alarm --which sincerely helps her get up in winter-- is supposed to start lighting up at 4:30)  No way!  I guess my subconscious shut it off yesterday.  Score!  I got to sleep in.  You can still shower first.  I'll have time.

Wife to Dogs:  Oh, I'm gonna rub your belly!  We're gonna snuggle some more until the shower's open.  You're the best dogs.  Look at those cute little dog teeth and furry paws.  I love you.

- husband out of shower, wife out of bed

"Ok, Google.  What's the weather today?"
In Festus today, it will partly cloudy with a forecasted high of 49 and a low of 42.  Right now, it's 40 and cloudy. 

Wife:  We should probably dress warm today if we're going to have to stand outside so long.  (rummaging through hoodies)

Husband:  Yes, I'll bring a coat.

-husband leaving for work, wife still slow pacing it cuz she can

Husband:  Love you, honey.  I'll see you for dinner.

Wife:  Yes!  My massage appointment ends at 4:30, so I'll meet you in line at St. Cecelia's for fish fry.  I'm SO excited!!!

Wife:  (inner dialogue) Does a cheat day encompass, like, the whole day?  Should I make my smoothie or stop for breakfast, pack my lunch or go out with the girls? 

Just re-reading this before hitting publish makes this sound like a stellar day.  Can't wait to go live this Friday. 

5 comments:

  1. You just put a little pep in my step with "Can't wait to go live this Friday." What a wonderful way to look at the day! I think I'll borrow that thinking as I start my first day of va-ca.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an enjoyably relaxed morning and a massage and dinner to end it even better! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a creative way to construct this slice through dialogue--outer AND inner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's cheat DAY, not cheat HOUR or cheat MORNING or cheat AFTERNOON (said the lumpy, roly-poly lady).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm. I got caught on the logic of the weather, "In Festus today, it will partly cloudy with a forecasted high of 49 and a low of 42. Right now, it's 40 and cloudy." How can the low be 42 when it is currently 40?!

    ReplyDelete