Thursday, March 14, 2019

'Twas the Day Before Spring Break

'Twas the day before Spring Break, when all through the halls
every student was stirring, bouncing off the walls.
The calendars were hung by the white board with care,
in hopes that a breather would soon be there.

The children were grouped all matched in their teams,
while visions of sleeping-in filled their day dreams.
And teachers in their head space--their full thinking caps,
started to settle their brains for a lesson planning nap.

When out of the classroom rose such a clatter,
I sprang from my desk to see what was the matter.
Away to the window I flew like a crane,
pulled back the curtain, and with my eyes did strain.

The sun in the sky of the new found spring weather,
gave the lustre of warmth… it couldn’t be better.
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
but the end of the school day as 2:40 was near.

With one little, old school day, so lively and quick,
I knew in a moment the clock would soon tick.
More rapid than tigers, the day ending - it came,
the teachers whistled and shouted and called them by name:

"Now Natalie! Now Louis!
Now Talon and Addyn!
On, Jacob! On, Ava!
On, Terra and Kaden!
To the end of the hallway!
Out through the door!
Now dash away! Dash away!
It’s time to explore!"

And then, in a twinkling, I heard in the halls
the prancing, high fiving, and joy above all.
I stuck out my head and was turning around,
when down the hallway the teachers came with a bound.

They were dressed all in sunlight from head to toe,
they glowed with a shimmer only teachers on break can know.
A bundle of papers they threw on their back,
though they knew they wouldn’t grade them or even open their sacks.

The eyes--how they twinkled! Their laughter, how merry!
Their feet were so nimble, they were no longer wary.
The smiles on their mouths drawn up like a bow,
and the light in their eyes said they were ready to go.
The car keys they held tight in their hands,
already envisioning blaring their most favorite bands.
They spoke of the foods that would soon fill their bellies,
they shook as they laughed like bowls full of jelly.

Teachers sprang to their cars, to their team gave a whistle,
and away they all flew like the down of a thistle.
But I heard each exclaim, 'ere they drove out of sight,

"Happy Spring Break to all, and to all a good night!"

6 comments:

  1. Really clever!!!! Have a great break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the line "They were dressed all in sunlight from head to toe" Have an amazing and relaxing spring break!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that I stayed to read this while still at school on the very same day! What a fun and amazing poem so fitting for how this day felt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, this was awesome! I was smiling the entire time I read it. You're so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is publishable! How many hours did it take you to be this clever?!

    ReplyDelete