Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Corpse Pose

Hands down, the corpse pose is my most favorite yoga pose.  As I struggle to get through any practice - whether a grueling class where I grapple to balance and stretch or only a quick 5 minutes on my mat at home where I can't get my brain to shut off - I am ALWAYS looking forward to corpse pose.

A simple Google search will tell you that it is considered one of the most deceivingly simple poses.  Yet, the art of relaxation isn't so simple for many.  The pose is one of the few 'must do' poses of any session.  It's considered rejuvenating to your body, mind, and spirit while reducing stress and tension... WHILE YOU LAY THERE LOOKING DEAD.  I get the name, I guess.  You lay there like a corpse.  Doesn't this seem like the most un-inventive name EVER though?  I kid.

Today marks day nine of my sickness.  I feel a little better, I do normal things, then I am back down again.  I swore this week I would come home from work every night and do nothing even if I thought I was better again.  Lord willing, I will be well for spring break!

Yoga's not like a thing, though.  Stretching is resting, right?  LOL.  No.  My nine days no exercise having ass thought I'd do a few light poses and it went like this... happy baby, hero, child's pose, my thighs hurt, shit.  And I didn't even get to corpse pose! 

Tomorrow's goal:  feel well enough to be able to lie there and act dead.  It's the little things in life.

4 comments:

  1. I do not currently have the words to adequately communicate how much I loved everything about this post. I'm on a roll writing, but I can't remember the last time I rolled out my yoga mat, let alone got myself to the blessed corpse! I hope you get yourself there tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me laugh. That is no easy feat after a full evening of conferences. I hope you are well soon and nail that corpse pose maybe when you aren't feeling so like a corpse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Acting dead, with intentionality, is one of the little things - ha! I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dragged myself back to the mat this morning--after a month off. I remember that corpse pose made me crazy uptight when I first started practicing yoga. What's the point? I need to get up now and do something! But now I love it and can be still for a lot longer than I could manage when I was younger!

    ReplyDelete