Sunday, March 10, 2019

Machines, Polar Bears, and the Soul Inside of it All

I joked with a friend the other weekend that sometimes I like to turn on every machine I own and then stand back in awe with arms wide open at how many things I can put to work for me.  I was kind of joking, but kind of not.  This weekend, I've ran:  the washing machine, the dryer, the dishwasher, the robot vacuum, the bread machine, and the oven all at the same time... while using the: the blender, the microwave, the diffuser, the stand mixer, the food processor AND on top of that & behind the scenes, even more machines are working!  The:  furnace, water heater, sump pump, dehumidifier, ice maker, lights, and ceiling fans to name a few.  You get it.  The list is infinite.

Today is my husband's birthday.  I mean, who needs an excuse for Sunday brunch? but, of course, we took advantage.  Then we went to the zoo to stare in awe at the bears.  The polar bear dived in and out of the water in this rhythmic trance.  I'd never seen anything like it.  The husband compared it to the bear's prayer, a sort of sun salutation.  My heart still pitter patters thinking of the moment.  I haven't been able to conjure the words to describe this magic.  A towering, white creature of the highest majestic quality was inches from my face as he dove and brushed the glass where I stood over and over and over.  His fur mushed against the glass.  His stature.  His massive paws as he swam away from me over and over and over again. 

There's something beautiful about the unnatural whether it's a thousand machines working at my fingertips or a massive creature that should never safely share a few square feet with me.

And then some guy on some show said some shit that put together what I think I've been trying to say... "The 2000s are the age of the machine, but that doesn't mean we aren't still searching for the soul inside of it."

6 comments:

  1. Awesome polar bear experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The polar bears are my favorite bears. They're gorgeous.

    Tell David "Happy Birthday" from me. I hope the rest of the day was as awesome as brunch and the zoo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness...you perfectly juxtaposed those moments. Thanks for sharing the beauty in world that struck you today! BTW...Audrey & D share the same bday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your last line gave me goosebumps. What truth and beauty in finding the soul inside! Sounds like a perfect birthday day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This line stands out to me, "bear's prayer, a sort of sun salutation".

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely moment with the polar bear!

    ReplyDelete