Friday, March 8, 2019

Opening Day: Fish Fry Circuit Review

First Friday in Lent can only mean one thing, folks!  The St. Louis Fish Fry Season is officially open...  and I'll tell you, the scene is lit!

The home opener was hosted by none other than St. Francis of Assisi on Telegraph in Oakville, MO. 

Host, not only to the great review I'm about to announce, but parish to my Dad's family growing up.  The fish was enough to write home about, but you can also be certain my relatives will hear versions from me highlighting the old gym and rows of folding chairs where we dined, how I thought of them and my childhood visits to the church with my grandparents, and the never-ending stories about how the whole clan (13 to be exact) had to trudge the miles to school and church as children in ALL types of weather. 

The environment was welcoming enough smashed in among grey headed, 4:00 PM dinner eating, green velvet corduroy pants wearing type of people, but the weight of the memories in the air made the atmosphere just right for dining with your favorite guy on a Friday night.  The Girl Scouts serving tea and coffee didn't hurt either.

The food though.  I've waited all week for it.  Cod nuggets.  Let me type that again.  Cod nuggets.  Batter so good you'd smack your own mama because you know she'd understand.  Teeny tiny hush puppies that taste like cake balls.  Green beans and mac n' cheese smothered in salt and pepper.  All on Styrofoam plates accompanied by the shittiest plastic utensils money can buy.  This is heaven.  This is delight... and I haven't even gotten to the dessert table yet.

I love the mix of ladies swarming like bees with endless rolls of saran wrap.  The sign stating that some items are homemade and therefore not inspected or regulated by the health department -- as if that is any kind of deterrent.  I love these women, these dessert tables, these desserts! with all of my whole beating heart.  I chose chocolate cake with white icing and those little tiny round sprinkles. 

Shining Happy People played on repeat in my head while I munched and savored, but I ate ONLY HALF... I know!  such restrain.  The other half will bring a second round of music (and likely dancing since I am now home) later this evening as I continue my buzz - because did I mention the $2 beers!

There's a whole lot of Fridays in Lent.  It's going to be a good spring.



8 comments:

  1. The feeling of celebration is contagious. And I love that you say shit a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the sensory joy of good fresh fish cooked up in delicious ways. At lunch today teachers were reminiscing about Fridays and fish during the Lenten season and none had such vivid memories as yours. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Sioux--so jealous of the hush puppies! I don't ever do fried food anymore, but I would totally make an exception for hush puppies. I really enjoyed the description and atmosphere of this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're excitement is palatable! (You had me until the styrofoam plates and then my mouth watering excitement turned into sadness for our poor planet.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to Steak & Shake tonight. It cannot compare to your experience, but they never have food I can eat. So until Easter they have fish and it is a special place for me :) I love Lent!

    ReplyDelete